Monday, April 30, 2007

Interview With Aesma Daeva


Earl Root and John Prassas of Aesma Daeva took time to do an interview, where we discuss the band and its future, the Podsafe Music Network, plus the pros and cons of being an Indie.

What's the concept for Dawn of the New Athens and how did you come up with it?

Earl Root: I thought of the idea because at the time when we actually got to record the album...we were basically a brand new band.....with a newfound clarity and energy. I also pondered on our past releases and their direction, title, and ideas. It seemed like a logical continuation in the progress of the band. A natural progression forward with new ideas while still maintaining the adding of the 'old' that is still a core essence for Aesma Daeva.

"Since the Machine" has a touch of Orwell to it. How often have ideas in stories influenced ideas for songs?

John Prassas: Lately I have been more influenced by stories and the world around me rather than what is happening in my personal life. On this album there are only a few songs that are influenced by a story in one way or another. "Bluish Shade" has some reflections from the book The Last Temptation of Christ Also “Hymn to the Sun” has the odvious paetheon references in it. Otherwise Michael and I adapted a lot of his own poems for songs. "D’Oreste" - has a story behind it as well but I did not write that one. ;)

Aesma Daeva went through a few female vocalists before Lori Lewis. How has that affected the band's sound over the years?

JP: Well in the past I did not really get to work with the singers. So I had to write in a somewhat conservative manner. If I was going to do something experimental I needed to have things set up in the song so that I could remove the section if it did not work because that singer may be busy with something else for a long time etc. As I started to find singers to work with I think the songs improved because I was able to write for the strengths of that individual singer. Also someone to bounce ideas off of is nice. I think it is important to write for what/who is available. No use in bitching that the right singer was never available, etc. Anyways to sum things up the addition of a singer who is more involved with the music from the beginning has made A.D. more of a band than say a project.

Now that Classical and Symphonic Goth Metal is becoming so vast and diversified, where do you think this style of music will be in the next 5-10 years? What do you think future bands in the same genre will need in order to compete?

JP: The future - There is always a chance this music could be like grunge. I have no idea what bands will need in the future. I have never really thought in terms of style when it comes to writing music. I am always searching for new ways of creating music. So I think the band will always be going as long as the members are interested. When it comes to popularity. I feel a good bit of that depends on having the right marketing machine behind you etc.

What's the biggest challenge for Indie labels, and what are their perks?

ER : The perks are easy...if you make a sale you get more of the money. Your flexibility is also a perk...for you make the rules and you call the shots. The challenges are numerous....from paying for your own studio time to the near impossibility of putting together a 'real tour' of your own to just getting the artwork together. If you look at any "bigger" labels now in the underground scene....many of those were very tiny indies when they started...they got lucky (or smart) and
signed some bands with real selling power. It takes money to make money and it all works together, from magazine ads to tours to distribution. That is probably the key deciding factor is getting your product out to the masses.....and the more money you have...the easier it is to make that visible. Having distribution that gets your music to more people is definetly a perk for being on a bigger label and a challenge for an Indie.

Speaking of getting products out to the masses, have you looked into contributing songs to the Podsafe Music Network for podcasters to play them on their shows?

JP: Yes - just am waiting to get a confirmation e-mail from them, I believe. In the last month or so I have been listening to podcasts often. I am a bit scared at the postings I have been reading from labels--that people are not buying cd's....

I guess we will see.

What's in the near future for Aesma Daeva?

JP: Writing a lot of acoustic music at the moment. Also working on more arrangements of cover songs and finishing up an album of songs all based on 1984. We have been asked to go on tour with Therion and also to go on a seperate tour with Virgin Black and Trail of Tears as well. Hopefully all of that will work out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see an interview up. Only one problem: the singer's name is LORI LEWIS, not Lisa as you stated.

Thanks,
Lori Lewis

8:19 AM  
Blogger Scott M. Sandridge said...

Sorry Lori. Fixed. :)

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home