Monday, November 20, 2006

Interview With Taylor Kent

Taylor Kent, host of the podcast show, Snark Infested Waters, is one of the coolest guys around. So getting to interview him was just pure fun.

How did you get started in podcasting?

How?! Like most everyone else, I bought a headset and got some recording software and just starting recording.

But to answer your real question, why did I get into podcasting, is a long and sorted tale of intrigue and adventures. Okay maybe not, but it is more interesting than "how".

It goes like this... A friend at work was looking for a way to get something worth listening to on his long drive into work. At that time I was a satellite radio subscriber. He tried that out, but that wasn't really what he wanted. He wanted to be able to get shows he was interested in and listen to them whenever he wanted. Well, after some looking he discovered podcasts and told me about it because I had a long drive as well and I wasn't really happy with satellite radio.
So I began to check out podcasts. And I learned two things: there weren't that many good podcasts out there and that there wasn't much in the way of Christian podcasts. Then I started to think about creating the kind of cast I wanted to listen to. I am a passionate Christian, a bit of an entertainer, and a writer so I figured I give it a try.

Then in typical Taylor fashion I procrastinate about it. Then I got asked to preach at the church I was attending at the time. Well that was the catalytic that got me started. I figured if I could stand up in front of about 100 people and speak, I could definitely podcast.

And as they say the rest is history... (I did podcast the recording of my sermon on my show as well. You can find it here: http://www.snarkyavenger.com/blog/?p=121.)

Podcast audio versions of short stories and novels seem to be catching on big. Why do you think that is?

I think audio fiction is becoming popular for two reasons. One, the ability to multi-task when listening to a story. Since most people's daily commutes are increasing and the quality of radio is going down, people are looking for alternative entertainment and podcasts, including podcast fiction, are filling that void as well as audio books.

How has the Creative Commons License been beneficial to both the artists and the public?

It has allowed people to easily and understandably protect their intellectual property while sharing it. Basicly it is a huge win for artists and a great way to stick it to the man!

How important is music to creating a good podcast?

That is an interesting question.

For me, I think music really makes for a better show. Personally, I think my show has been more successful since I added music and it gives me a convenient and fun way to break up the segments of my show. It also gives me the opportunity to showcase bands I like and share my love of funny music with my listeners.

Thinking about it, almost all the shows I listen to use music to some degree.

I guess overall, I'd say music can be a big plus in podcasting as long as it is used well (i.e., it fits into the show and it is not just tacked on as a gimmick), just like a good radio show makes good use of music

What are your future plans?

"Crack and Hookers, Scott! Crack and Hookers."

Or maybe I'll just start a cult... The Church Of The Great and Holy Snark of which I will be the prophet and leader.

But seriously, I plan to continue my show and continue to try new things with it. I would also like to create some audio fiction and even audio drama. I have a couple of fiction projects in the works, but it will be a while before they are ready for prime time.

Ultimately, I just want to be known as the man who killed the Burger King King!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home